Monday, September 3, 2012

1, 2, 3


Somewhere a piano chimed sweetly.

1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3…

A man danced on stage, perfectly in-time with the piano.  He was exquisitely dressed, as was his partner; a corpse he led with aqueous grace despite the dead weight.

1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3…

The spotlight cut out and drowned the stage in darkness.

1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3…

The spotlight flared to life.  The dancer lay on his back, staked to the stage with a metal pipe.  The corpse held the pipe in both hands, posed, hips straddling hips, back arched, head titled upward, face dotted with blood.

1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3…

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit. I typoed the hell out of my initial comment and it wouldn't let me edit it so now there's this annoying "removed by author" deal. So it goes.

    The other day I had an image stuck in my head all day, possibly stemming from a dream I can't quite remember, of standing at the back of a stage watching a man dance with a corpse. The entire place is dark save for the spotlight focused on the dancer. I could only see him in silhouette. Later that day I watched a TV show in which a man slow danced with a woman who had been bludgeoned. It was a disturbing moment and it echoed the image I couldn't get out of my head. The oddness of the coincidence struck me and I HAD to write something. It ended up not quite being a full short-story but not being a poem either, it's just a macabre moment frozen in gray scale and put to page.

    ReplyDelete